|The necessities to this benefit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They’re reproduced partly right here underneath honest use as a useful resource for Scouts and Scouters to make use of within the incomes and educating of benefit badges. The necessities printed by the Boy Scouts of America ought to at all times be used over the listing right here. If unsure in regards to the accuracy of a requirement, seek the advice of your Benefit Badge Counselor.|
|Studying this web page doesn’t fulfill any requirement for any benefit badge. Per Nationwide laws, the one one that could log off on necessities is a Benefit Badge Counselor, duly registered and licensed by the native Council. To acquire a listing of registered Benefit Badge Counselors, or to start a Benefit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Middle.|
Clarify what freedom of the press is and the way the First Modification ensures you could voice your opinion. In your dialogue, inform learn how to distinguish between reality and opinion, and clarify the phrases libel, slander, defamation, honest remark and criticism, public determine, privateness, and malice. Talk about how these issues relate to ethics in journalism.
Do both A OR B:
:A. Newspaper and journal journalism
- 1. All on the identical day, learn a neighborhood newspaper, a nationwide newspaper, a newsmagazine, and (along with your mum or dad’s permission) a web-based information supply. From every supply, clip, learn, and evaluate a narrative about the identical occasion. Inform your counselor how lengthy every story is and the way honest and correct the tales are in presenting completely different factors of view. Inform how every supply dealt with the story in a different way, relying on its objective or viewers
- 2. Go to a newspaper or journal workplace Ask for a tour of the assorted divisions, (editorial, enterprise, and printing). Throughout your tour, discuss to an govt from the enterprise aspect about administration’s relations with reporters, editors, and photographers and what makes a “good” newspaper or journal.
:B. Radio and tv journalism
- 1. All on the identical day, watch a neighborhood and nationwide community newscast, take heed to a radio newscast, and (along with your mum or dad’s permission) view a nationwide broadcast information supply on-line. Checklist the completely different information objects and options introduced, the completely different parts used, and the time in minutes and seconds and the net house devoted to every story Evaluate the story lists, and talk about whether or not the tales are honest and correct. Clarify why completely different information retailers handled the tales in a different way and/or introduced a unique viewpoint.
- 2. Go to a radio or tv station. Ask for a tour of the assorted departments, concentrating on these associated to information broadcasts Throughout your tour, discuss to the station supervisor or different station administration govt about station operations, notably how administration and the information employees work collectively, and what makes a “good” station. If attainable, go together with a reporter to cowl a information occasion.
Talk about the variations between a tough information story and a function story. Clarify what’s the “5 W’s and H.” Then do ONE of the next:
- A. Select a present or an uncommon occasion of curiosity to you, and write both a tough information article OR a function article in regards to the occasion. Gear the article for print OR audio OR video journalism. Share your article along with your counselor.
- B. Together with your mum or dad’s permission and counselor’s approval, interview somebody in your group who’s influential due to his or her management, expertise, profession, or life experiences. Then current to your counselor both a written or oral report telling what you discovered about this particular person.
- C. Together with your mum or dad’s permission and counselor’s approval, learn an autobiography written by a journalist you need to study extra about. Write an article that tells what you discovered about this particular person and the contributions this particular person has made to the sphere of journalism.
- D. Attend a Scouting occasion and write a 200-word article (function or exhausting information) in regards to the occasion. Use both the inverted pyramid type or the chronological type. Evaluate the article along with your counselor, then submit it to your group newspaper or BSA native council or district publication for consideration.
Attend a public occasion and do ONE of the next:
- A. Write two newspaper articles in regards to the occasion, one utilizing the inverted pyramid type and one utilizing the chronological type.
- B. Utilizing a radio or tv broadcasting type write a information story, a function story and a important evaluate of the occasion.
- C. Take a sequence of images to assist inform the story of the occasion in photos. Embrace information images and have images in your presentation. Write a quick synopsis of the occasion in addition to captions in your images.
Discover out about three profession alternatives in journalism. Choose one and discover out the training, coaching, and expertise required for this occupation. Talk about this along with your counselor, and clarify why this occupation may curiosity you.